How often do you find stuff in your life that you do NOT need? All that junk can slow you down. It’s even been known to slow the creative process. Of course, I’m not just talking about the physical items around you, but let’s not go there.
This week I read through a WIP I wrote last summer. I definitely put enough distance between writing and revising, lol. The end eluded me last summer. This week, I cleared away the junk and found a way to the end I’ve had in mind. Now, I just have to finish writing it.
As I clear away the cob webs in my mind and get rid of the junk in this story, I’m finding it’s fast past and has fascinating characters. Score! By the end of this round I want this WIP to have a finished ending, but I also want it to shine. I want a crisp and clean manuscript that’s ready to be sent.
It’s SYTYCD season. So, I went there looking for some inspiration and I have to share what I found. Makenzie and Paul performed a piece choreographed by Sean Cheesman and it’s the epitome of crisp and clean. If they can do this after just a couple days then I can clean my WIP this summer. The dancing begins 1 minute in. Enjoy.
The Goals – week-1 results
- Spend at least 1-hour a day with my characters – done.
- Daily progress in writing craft, word count, editing, and/or plotting – done. I moved my blog feeds over to feedly about a month ago, but this week I categorized things. It’s so much cleaner. I haven’t read Writing Love since May, but I got back to it this week. Nice. I also edited everyday this week.
- Workout a minimum of three times a week and round it out with plenty of water, sleep, and my calorie limit – done! The last couple rounds I’ve done the minimum here or less and I’ve been slowing gaining weight. Boo! For the last eighteen days I’ve been back in it and I’ve lost weight two weeks in a row. 😀 I got in 5 workouts this week.
- Weekly Nia study (i.e. studying the song/movement structure) – 1/2 way done. I did a practice teaching session and it went okay. WEEK 2 PRIORITY
- Stay on top of my co-op preschool Treasurer responsibilities – done. The new fiscal year has begun and this year I have a co-Treasurer. 😀 She has a degree in Finance and has experience in QuickBooks. Sweet. Every month I’ll teach her something new and slowly this task will go away. Wahoo!! 😀
- Organize something in the house each week & clean something in the house every day – not done. WEEK 2 PRIORITY
- Spend time in the garden – done. I cut back my rose bushes, staked my blueberries, snacked on some early raspberries, took Lavender cuttings before they bloomed and hung them to dry. I also took lots of pictures. I’ll continue to share them each Sunday.
Good job on getting the clutter out of your story! I have trouble with that, too, and getting a little distance does make it so much easier to see and get rid of. You are cranking on your other goals, too – keep up the good work!
Thanks, Jennette. 🙂 This week I’m attempting to write the scenes I had trouble with last summer. ugh, lol.
well done you – good week – must do more exercise myself – missed a lot with recent back pain – now I suspect am using it as excuse
it is satsifying to come back and see your way through a story:0
forgot how much I enjoyed that programme – we havent had it here for yoinks – shame – love watching good dancing:)
I hope your back is feeling better. It’s good to hear from you, Alberta. I’ve been missing you. 🙂
It is satisfying to get back to this story. I’m anxious to have it completed.
SYTYCD is awesome. I’m glad you enjoy it too.
Sometimes letting a story sit is just what you need. Then you return with fresh eyes, and new and better ideas appear. Best wishes with it! I’m planning to take a novel I wrote earlier this year and haven’t looked at on vacation and read through it. Who knows what I’ll find? 😉
Have a lovely week. You know that I’m around, editing, editing, editing.