I used to think getting started was the real hard part. The truth is, it’s all hard. Finding the time to write while you juggle kids and work is hard. Fighting writers block and getting the first draft down is hard. Editing is hard. Analyzing your story and fixing what’s not working is hard. Knowing when to keep working or when to just hit send is hard.
It’s all hard, but that’s partly why I love it.
Each time I pass another hurdle, I feel a little bit of accomplishment and lately it’s been just enough to get me to start the next hard part. Today, I’m going to show up for another hard part. I’m going to take this tiny piece of perspective, show up, and work through it.
What gets you past the hard parts?
The Goals – week-8 results
- Spend at least 1-hour a day with my characters – done.
- Daily progress in writing craft, word count, editing, and/or plotting – done. I wrote or edited everyday, adding 1k and sent the MS to my CP. She’s already gotten it back to me. I’ve only reviewed her notes, but I can tell you my MS is about to get so much better. I’m a lucky girl. Love that CP of mine. Wahoo!! I also went through two of her short stories.
- Workout a minimum of three times a week and round it out with plenty of water, sleep, and my calorie limit – done! I got in three workouts and kept to all my other goals here.
- Weekly Nia study (i.e. studying the song/movement structure) – not done. WEEK 9 PRIORITY
- Stay on top of my co-op preschool Treasurer responsibilities – done. I worked on several reports and made one deposit.
- Organize something in the house each week – not done. WEEK 9 PRIORITY
- Spend time in the Garden – done. Sunday I weeded the veggie garden and start on the perennial garden. It then rained the rest of the week. There was a short window yesterday of no rain, but that’s when I went to support my niece in the state volleyball championship. She did great and I blocked my head twice from getting hit. Good times, lol.
What you might have missed here this week:
Congrats on reaching your new goals. I’m doing much better now than earlier in the week (and we won’t even talk about last week).
I’m so glad, Angelica. The rain is taking another break today…I will make it outside. It’s going to be a muddy good time, lol.
Thanks for all of your encouragement this past week! We’re doing well with this round.
You’re very welcome. It’s so exciting to see the two of us working it. I love it! Thank you, Julie. Team work for the win. 🙂
The hard parts make the achievement more satisfying. It’s like that (not-so) recent discussion going around about how a lot of people who get free e-books leave them on their readers and never get to them (guilty), but if they pay something, even a token amount, there is more of an urgency to check it out and use it.
But yeah, most of writing well is hard. It doesn’t make it any less valuable to you as a person… in fact, it probably add tremendously to the value.
I’m glad you’ve gotten a chance for some outside time, even if it is muddy. Sounds about like here….
So true. Anything worth having is worth working hard for. One of these days I’ll get rain boots or garden shoes. My shoes can get dirty. Wow. Impressive, lol. Thanks, Eden. 🙂
I agree every part of writing is hard but some bits of hard are more fun than the others:) – Isn’t it nice to be in the garden again- and we are being promised another 5 days of sunshine to top up the last 3 – we never got spring maybe summer will behave better!!! You did well on your goals (never mind the housework one -mess and muddle will outlive us all!!)
All the best for coming week
mess and muddle will outlive us all <- Gosh, ain't that the truth, lol, Alberta. My yard is very happy and I can't wait to get out there today. Hope you're having a great week.
What gets me past the hard parts is definitely the writing community. When things get tough, there’s always someone there to say a kind, encouraging word. You’re doing really well with your writing goals, keep at it! Have a lovely week 🙂
That is so true and knowing the ROW80 crew is ready to give me a lift is HUGE. My week has been pretty good, hope yours has been too.